Ingredients:• 1 head of cabbage (medium sized)
• 1 lb ground beef (you may also substitute turkey or chicken here)
• 1 egg
• 1 can of tomato juice (12 oz)
• 1 cup of cooked rice
1. Boil the entire head of cabbage in a large pot. Periodically separate the top layers of leaves from the rest so that they get softer quicker. They should end up soft, but not so soft that they fall apart.
2. Boil the rice
3. Put the ground beef, cooked rice, ½ the can of tomato juice, and egg together in a bowl.
*This is where you can add seasonings to the mixture for taste. I typically use: a pinch of garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, oregano, fresh chives, and basil.
4. Blend the mixture together with clean hands (don’t forget to remove any jewelry from your hands at this point!)
5. Preheat oven to 350
6. Once the cabbage leaves are at the desired texture, drain and remove the cabbage head and set it aside to cool down.
7. Separate the cabbage leaves on a plate once they are cool enough to handle.
8. Using your hands, make the ground meat mixture into fist-sized balls and wrap each one in a cabbage leaf.
9. Place each cabbage roll in a baking pan
10. Pour the remaining tomato juice over the cabbage rolls
11. Bake in the oven, covered, for 1 ½ hours or until cabbage rolls are tender
12. Let cool and ENJOY!!